Wednesday, March 30, 2005

On the value of family

In terms of biology, the tendency of a family to care for on another can imply a stronger fitness for their respective genes. Sociologically, family ties (á la Mafia) carry political and economic consequences. My sister visited me this past week and it became obvious to me that some of the Tam family traits (potty humor, cross cultural references, and sarcasm) carry a lot of value for me. As individualistic as our society would have us believe ourselves to be, I am glad for this reminder of my biology and of my upbringing. I love you Tam Family!

Talking to the people of Tijuana, I've come to realize that the notion of family is incredibly strong on this side of the border fence. It's rare for people to move away from their parents. Even leaving one's immediate family for a week is a BIG deal. For better or for worse, I'm not sure that I could be where I am (thousands of miles away from my family) if I had grown up on this side of the border.

PS, Mexico beat the dUS 2 to 1 in a World Cup qualifier this past Sunday. Kasey Keller, a long time dUS keeper from Lacey, Washington (woop! woop!), played really well despite the shitty defense of the red, white, and blue. Where are Alexei Lalas, Marcelo Balboa, and Eddie Pope when you need them! We need to win the upcoming game against Guatamala in order to stay in the runnings.

Currently listening to: Tijuana pop star Julieta Venegas
Currently reading: "How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas" by David Bornstein

No comments: