Saturday, April 23, 2005

All roads lead to Home

Today, I got to know a mother of three children who lives in the La Morita community and whose husband lives in Kent, Washington dUSNA (dis-United States of North America). He paints houses in the Lake Washington area and sends money back to Tijuana. She's been involved with Esperanza for the past eight years and is in charge of a program that helps teach children about healthy water habits. They have lived apart for five years and she sees him once a year.

She and I are working together on a community garden project (really her idea). We are both really excited to get some more community-building programs started. What better place to start than an existing system that depends on individual and community nurturing (a garden)? I feel like my Biology Club organizing days are returning once more. The circle is becoming more complete. Indeed, all roads lead to Home.

Thank you to all those at Home (Kenmore, U-District, Veitshöchheim, Tijuana, Bensheim, Regensburg, Hong Kong, and elsewhere) who have nurtured this individual. I haven't forgotten you. In fact, you're in my thoughts daily, motivating me to "no pare...sigue, sigue" ("don't stop...continue, continue").

Currently reading: "Development as Freedom" by Amartya Sen
Currently listening to: Bob Marley, Manu Chao, and Blue Scholars

No comments: