Saturday, February 19, 2005

A foundation


Monica's Foundation
Originally uploaded by MarcelTam.
The end of my second week working for Fundací­on Esperanza de Mexico (FEM) feels like a solid foundation for my future work here. My Spanish is getting tolerable, my public speaking abilities are maturing, and I'm feeling more happy overall.

The second volunteer group has come and gone. I will miss some more than others. This group confirmed that age and experience do not necessarily amount to wisdom and maturity. A 14 year old boy, his first year as a volunteer with Esperanza, was one of the most admirable, while a man in his 50's, a veteran volunteer with 8+ trips, had much growing up to do. Humbling!

Currently listening to: Waxwing, Juanes, Maná
Currently reading: "Complications: A Surgeon's notes on an Imperfect Science" by Atul Gawande

No comments: