Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Un dia con sol

Today, Ash Wednesday and my third day on the job, was satisfying. On Ash Wednesday devout Christians mark their foreheads with a cross of ashes to symbolize that they belong to Jesus Christ. For me, this day marked a reaffirmation of my committment to this organization, Esperanza International. A discussion with my boss/partner, Eduardo Zavala, on the drive to the worksite brought me back to my goals while in Tijuana: to learn as much as possible about the lives of the people of Tijuana, to better understand my own country, and to help build the organization for which I am working. The worksite is my church. The people I work with are my congregation.

Happy Chinese New Year! It's my year, the year of the Rooster (aka the Cock), and big things are happening in my life. We'll see how it turns out.

In other news, Mexico beat Costa Rica (2-1) in a 2006 World Cup qualifying match. I'm looking forward to playing some soccer here. At least I can speak that language more fluently than Spanish, but I'm getting better at the latter.

No comments: